So I’m up at quarter to five in the morning and I can’t sleep because it’s begun to dawn on me that in 2 weeks, I’ll be hoping on a plane, travelling halfway around the world and heading to Japan. 2 weeks! That’s just a scant 14 days, and in that small amount of time, I have to wrap up my life here in Canada, see all my friends one last time, and bid my family a tearful farewell at the airport.
Fortunately, I’ve managed to accomplished most of the major things I needed to get out of the way such as visa applications, getting my international drivers permit, putting my OHIP card on hold, and buying Canada branded giveaways at the dollar store, but there’s still a ton of little stuff that needs to get done. I also have that nagging feeling that I’m forgetting something. Anyways here’s my checklist:
- buy omiyage (gifts) for my supervisors
- apply for Aeroplan card
- get immunized for all the things that can kill me in Asia
- visit the dentist
- call my bank and tell them I’m going to Japan
- get my suits and dress pants tailored
- buy a DSLR camera (Canon EOS Rebel T2i, I am coming for you)
- see as many friends as possible and have more farewell parties
- do a test pack of all my luggage..and actually pack
- shoot more videos of my city, my house, my family, and my life here
And that’s just the stuff I remember off the top of my head, so it’s not quite smooth sailing yet. It’s still surreal to think that exactly one year ago, my life was headed in a completely different direction, and now here I am, about to venture off into a completely foreign land with a fascinating and exotic way of life; an adventure in the making with countless stories just waiting to be told. I’m going to make the most of it. This will be the best year ever.